2016-present HAWAII STATE SENATE
- 2019-present Chair, Committee on Judiciary
- 2017-2018 Chair, Committee on Water and Land
2006-2016 HAWAII STATE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
- 2013-2016 Chair, Committee on Judiciary
- 2009-2013 Chair, Committee on Labor & Public Employment
- Brian E. Schatz, United States Senator
- Neil Abercrombie, former Governor of Hawaii
- International Longshore & Warehouse Union, Local 100
- International Longshore & Warehouse Union, Local 142
- Unite Here! Local 5 Hawaii
- Hawaii Government Employees Association, AFSCME Local 152, AFL-CIO
- Hawaii State Teacher’s Association
- International Union of Operating Engineers, Local 3
- Sierra Club of Hawaii
- Americans for Democratic Action Hawaii
- The General Contractors Association of Hawaii
- Hawaii Nurses Association Office and Professional Employees International Union, Local 50
- Operative Plasterers and Cement Masons International Association Local 630, AFL-CIO
- Hawaii Children’s Action Network Speaks!
- Hawaii Firefighters Association, Local 1463, AFL-CIO
- Planned Parenthood Alliance Advocates – Hawai’i
- 2019 Legislator of the year, Hawaii Dental Association
- 2016 Certificate of appreciation, US Department of Defense
- 2013 Humane State Legislator Award, Humane Society of the United States
- 2013 recipient of the Patsy T. Mink Award.
- 2012 recipient of the Chinatown Heroes Award.
- AARP Certificate of Appreciation, for helping to pass the CARE Act.
- City and County of Honolulu, Environmental Hero Award of Recognition.
- Japanese-American Citizens League Honolulu Chapter, Certificate of Appreciation.
- Named Freshman Legislator of the Year for 2007 by the University of Hawaii Professional Assembly.
- Downtown Neighborhood Board, 9 years
- Chinatown Citizens Patrol, 14 years
- Pacific Gateway Center Board of Directors, 11 years
- Honolulu Tower Board of Directors, 6 years
- Legislative Aide, Rep. Marilyn B. Lee, 6 years
- Small business owner (solo law practice), 4 years
- Law practice, Perkin & Hosoda, 2 years
- Legislative Assistant, U.S. Rep. Eliot L. Engel, 3 years
- Legislative Aide, U.S. Rep. Louise M. Slaughter, 2 years
- Intern, U.S. Senator John F. Kerry
- J.D., George Washington University (with Honors), 1996
- Summer clerk, Judge Corinne K.A. Watanabe (Intermediate Court of Appeals), 1995
- M.A., University of London, Soviet & Eastern European Area Studies, 1987
- B.A. Andrews University (History major, Chemistry minor), 1986
- Happily married to Cindy McMillan for 28 years
- Basketball team, University of London, 1986-87